The Ultimate Bale Bed
The Chisholm Trail Bale Bed is a specialty after-market steel bed manufactured to fit pickup trucks, aiding farmers and ranchers in the feeding process of livestock and the transport of large rounds of hay. The same hydraulic components operate both the arm function and the unique dump bed function, adding considerably to the versatility of the unit.
The Chisholm Trail Bale Bed is considered by many to be the ultimate bale bed because of its feature-rich design, ruggedly built components, ease of operation and competitive pricing.
What Customers Have to Say
“I use my bale bed to feed cows and I use it on weld jobs. We do portable welding and we’ll use the bale bed to lift whatever we need to lift. You get more for your money and the independent arm feature is more versatile. You can also dump and hook up to your trailers without having to operate your jack. We use it every day to lift whatever we need to lift and move whatever we need to move.”Jason, Customer
“We bought one five years ago and liked it so well, we added another. The feature I like the most is the independent arm movement. We use it for so many different things— not just hauling bails; we use it out in the field. If a piece of equipment breaks, you can move one arm here to pick up that piece of equipment and line it up with the other part and weld it back together and do whatever you need to do.”Bernie, Customer
“I use these bale beds on a day-to-day basis. Anything that you can pick up and haul with a bale bed, I use them for. In the ranching industry, there’s always a need for the dump bed in addition to the dump bed. I think it’s one of the top of the line bale beds made.”Kent, Customer
Bale Bed Features
- Standard Features
The Chisholm Trail Bale Bed’s unique dump feature expands your capabilities to handle hay and dump materials from the comfort of your cab. There is no other unit on the market like it. Arm lift capacity is 2,850 pounds and bed dump capacity is 6,000 pounds.
Independent Arm Action
The Chisholm Trail Bale Bed uses two squeeze cylinders rather than a phasing cylinder for better squeeze and maneuverability. You can move the arms separately or in tandem for easier bale retrieval when stacked end-to-end. This also helps loading into a ring feeder, even if you do not have a straight shot. Lift any size or shape effortlessly— round, square, wide or narrow. You can haul up to four 4’ rounds side-by-side with a dual wheel pickup. You can also squeeze a large 4’ by 8’ square bale end-to-end or from the side. The arm range on dual wheel trucks of 3’6″ to 9’6″ enables you to grab small or misshapen items as well.
Free-Float Arm System
The free-float arm system allows you to unroll hay while maintaining full contact with the ground over rough terrain. This function helps to prevent skips and thick blankets of hay, allowing even distribution of feed and reducing waste.
Locking Valve System
Our unique locking valve stops arms from creeping out when carrying hay bales. Additionally, unlike other units on the market, our design significantly limits truck frame stress.
The Chisholm Trail Bale Bed makes work easier and quicker in so many ways, especially hooking up your gooseneck trailer. Just raise the bed until the jack stand is off the ground, store the jack, lower the bed, and off you go. No more cranking!
- Electric-over-hydraulic heavy duty 4 gpm power unit
- LED work lights that work on a switch in the cab
- Tethered hand control
- Additional set of stop/turn lights in the headache rack
- Heavy duty 2 x 4 x 3/16″ rounded bent tube headache rack with louvers for stylish good looks and the ultimate in safety
- 2-5/16″, 30,000 pound rated hitch ball with 1″ rise, recessed in the bed with door closure
- H-frame stabilizer system
- 1/8” Tread plate floor with component access doors – no door hinges! Access door for all working components under the bed including fluid fill door.
- Mud flaps
- LED running lights throughout the bed and a pair of resistors to accommodate the low voltage lights (no flashing of lights due to computer error)
- Four 3 x 20 lift cylinders
- Two 2 x 6 squeeze cylinders
- 350 Amp fuse and fuse block system
- Grab handles on each side of the headache rack
- D-ring tie down rings on each side of the bed
- Two-part urethane paint for more durability and shine
- Safety Features
- Easy access to mechanical parts through large access doors
- Safety stand 2’ x 1- ½ x 1- ½ x 11 gauge steel
- Highly visible warning and caution decals
- 350 Amp fuse and block attached to truck frame
- Heavy duty bent tube headache rack
- Heavy duty 2 5/16th 30,0000 pound rated hitch ball 1″ rise
- 23’ Tethered hand held control pendant
- Ruggedly built all steel construction
- Grab handles on either side of the headache rack
- D-ring tie downs
The Chisholm Trail Bale Bed is available in six different sizes:
010 Dump Flatbed
7’ wide x 7’4” long
The 010 bed fits single wheel trucks with a very short bed. It has a 38” cab to axle measurement.
110 Bale Bed
7′ wide x 7’8″ long
The 110 bed fits single wheel trucks with a short six-foot bed. It has a 42″ cab to axle measurement.
210 Bale Bed
7′ wide x 8’10” long
The 210 bed fits single wheel trucks with a standard eight-foot bed. It has a 56″ cab to axle measurement.
220 Bale Bed
8′ wide x 8’10” long
The 220 bed fits a dually bed truck. It has dual wheels and a 56″ cab to axle measurement. This is often called a bed delete truck. It has a bent (dog leg) frame as opposed to a straight cab and chassis frame.
320 Bale Bed
7′ wide x 9’10” long
The 320 bed fits a true cab and chassis ton truck with single wheels and a 60″ cab to axle measurement.
310 Bale Bed
7’8″ wide x 9’10” long
The 310 bed fits a true cab and chassis ton truck with dual wheels and it has a 60″ cab to axle measurement. This truck comes from the factory without a bed. It has a straight frame.
420 Bale Bed
8′ wide x 11’10” long
The 420 bed fits dual wheel trucks with 84″ cab to axle measurement.
- Optional Features and Accessories
- Removable side boards
- Spinners for unrolling hay
- Underbody tool boxes
- PTO provisional power unit
- Engine driven power unit
C5 Manufacturing has an excellent reputation for quality and workmanship. If you feel a component has not lasted to your expectation, please contact us. These concerns will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
C5 Manufacturing warrants, to the original purchaser, products manufactured by C5 Manufacturing to be free of defects in material and craftsmanship for a period of two years from the date of purchase. There will be NO warranty if the bed is installed by an unauthorized dealer.
Optional items have specific warranties:
- Motor and pump are warranted for a period of one year
- Spinners and headache rack work lights are warranted for 60 days
- The Dew Eze and CW Mills’s pumps are warranted for 120 days
C5 Manufacturing also warrants the purchased parts to be free from defects for the period as set by the parts said manufacturer. If any part, as determined by C5 Manufacturing, is found to be defective, the labor and the part to be replaced or repaired will be borne by C5 Manufacturing.
All shipping and handling are the consumer’s responsibility. For replacement parts, please contact your dealer or the C5 Manufacturing plant in Kingman, Kansas. Warranty for replacement or repair shall not extend the original warranty period. C5 Manufacturing does not warrant against normal wear or damages caused by abuse, negligence, poor maintenance or operation beyond the rated capacities. The warranty card must be completed and returned to C5 Manufacturing within 30 days of purchase.
- Replacement Parts
Please contact C5 Manufacturing for information about replacement parts.